Thursday, December 11, 2008

16 Donna and Tim Start a Family

My parents, Tim and Donna Murphy, had their wedding on September 26th, 1987 at St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church in Watervliet, New York. They had met while working at Federal Express a few years before their engagement. My father recalls asking my grandfather for permission to marry his daughter. Joe’s timely response was, “Sure... which one?” My father was immediately introduced to Joe’s notorious sense of humor. Another unique memory that my father had of his future in-laws occurred at a dinner at the Basile residence while he and my mother were dating. He recalls seeing a portrait of a meatball sub on the wall in the dining room. My father knew the Basiles owned a sub shop but, until this moment, he did not understand the magnitude of passion for food that the Basiles shared.
After the wedding, my parents took their honeymoon in Ireland. While many newly-weds usually go to a tropical resort or cruise, my parents both had a passion for the Irish culture and felt it was more beautiful than any sandy beach in the world. They promised each other that after they made a family they would one day take them back and give them the Irish experience. Sure enough, just over twenty one years after their first visit, the my parent’s were back with my brothers and I.

No comments: