Friday, December 12, 2008

19 Home Sweet Home

Sometimes you don’t realize how much you love someone until you are away from them for about five months.  That is how I felt about my family while I was away for this first semester of college.  While college is going great and I’m making new friends and memories everyday, I keep finding the desire to have my family there to share in the good times.  All of this built up desire is what made December 12, 2008 such a great day.

Stepping off that train and onto the platform was quite the relief.  I had wanted to get back to Albany for weeks now with finals and term papers running through my head.  Getting back to Mordella road with Joe and Jan, Mom and Dad, meatballs and even Brendan waiting for me seemed to erase all the long stressful nights in the library.  I forgot about the final I had taken just twenty-four hours earlier and my only concern became hugs. 

That’s how our family works; no matter if you’ve been gone for five months or five hours you can count on a hug from somebody when you return.  Whether you are being congratulated on your new son or daughter or whether you are mourning the loss of a family member; you will get a hug.  As I walked through the kitchen at Joe and Jan’s I could smell forty eight years of cooking, feel the warmth of each family member’s love and even sit down and taste another one of Papa Joe’s meatballs.  I love this family with everything inside me and I’m blessed to have them in my life.  Now if you would excuse me, I have some hugs to attend to.

No comments: